[Rd] building a package - shared library loading problem

Konrad Smolinski konrad.smolinski at eui.eu
Wed Sep 19 19:25:41 CEST 2007

Dear All,
I am trying to write my first R package and I bump into loading shared
library problem( working on Mac OS X 10.4.10 as well as Linux Ubuntu).
I want to makes use of (incorporate) a shared library matchinglib.so in
the package. Library was created via R CMD -SHLIB.
Following 'Writing R Extensions' I place matchinglib.so in the 'libs'
directory and use NAMESPACE file with an entry:
useDynLib(matchinglib)

Now, executing 'R CMD check mypackage' I face the following error on OS X:
* checking whether the package can be loaded ... ERROR
Error in library.dynam(lib, package, package.lib) :
         shared library 'matchinglib' not found
Error: package/namespace load failed for 'cheetah'
Execution halted

It looks like this package has a loading problem: see the messages for
details.
The same problem occurs under Linux.

Shall I specify a direct path to libs or modify NAMESPACE?

konrad
---
Konrad Smolinski
Economics Department