[Rd] Modules which require gcc4 to build

Iain Morrison idm24 at medschl.cam.ac.uk
Fri Sep 7 20:31:23 CEST 2007

Dear R-Devel,
  we use R on 32 and 64 bit versions of RHEL AS 4 (U5) where the default
compiler is gcc 3. However recently we have had problems updating
MCMCpack which appears to require gcc4.

I have a few questions.

a) Is it OK to mix and match gcc3 and gcc4?
b) Should we recompile the whole of R under gcc4?
c) On posting to the RHEL 4 list one respondent said not to touch gcc4
with a barge pole. Is this valid?
d) What is the safest way to change compiler options for compiling
particular R modules.

I have been really impressed with CRAN and the automatic
compiling/updating of modules - the only glitch being the occasional
failure of compilations that require Tcl/Tk - interactive updating
solves this though it is a little annoying. However are more modules
going to require gcc4?

thanks

iain

ps I'm a sysadmin rather than a programmer so apologies in advance :->

Iain Morrison
IT Manager
MRC Epidemiology Unit
Institute of Metabolic Science