[Rd] compiling R-devel

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Sat Sep 1 01:28:05 CEST 2007

apjaworski at mmm.com wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I am in a habit of compiling daily snapshots of R-devel and R-patched on my
> Windows XP workstation.  I have cygwin environment with up-to-date RTools
> and MiKTeX.  I run cygwin and MiKTeX upadaters pretty often (every couple
> of days) so both of them are reasonably current.
>
> Recently I noticed a small annoyance when compiling R-dvel.  It started
> happening right after I updated to the new version of RTools (containing
> MinGW 4.2.1-sjlj compilers).  Everything else stayed the same with possible
> exception of MiKTeX update.
>
> I usually just type "make distribution" to compile everything.  The
> compilation itself goes smoothly.  Then the PDF version of the reference
> manual is created.  Then I see this:

> Output written on refman.pdf (1563 pages, 7869936 bytes).
> Transcript written on refman.log.
> creating doc/manual/version.texi
> texi2dvi --pdf --texinfo="@set UseExternalXrefs " R-FAQ.texi
> This is pdfTeX, Version 3.141592-1.40.4 (MiKTeX 2.6)
> entering extended mode
> ! I can't find file `\tmp\t2d6036\xtr\R-FAQ.texi'.
> <*> /tmp/t2d6036/xtr/R-FAQ.texi
>
> Please type another input file name:
>
> Now the file  /tmp/t2d6036/xtr/R-FAQ.texi exists at this point is not empty
> and has usual protection codes.  I tried different versions of back and
> front slashes, double backslashes, etc., but to no avail.  I was getting
> the same message - the file cannot be found.  The only thing that works is
> the plain file name.  That is, if I just type (or copy and paste) the
> string R-FAQ.texi everything works fine.  This happens three times for
> every manual (except the refman).  After that the compilation ends
> normally, the windows installer is created and, when I run the installer, I
> get everything working correctly including PDFs of the manuals.
>
> It looks to me like the /tmp/t2d6036/xtr/ part of the name gets already
> pre-pended to whatever name the make process provides so it expects just
> the file name.  Alternatively, something changed in my MiKTeX setup due to
> updates.  However, the refman compiles properly and I can also compile
> other LaTeX with no apparent problems.
>
> Thanks in advance,

How do you have your temp directory set?  I'm not sure if it's R or one
of the build tools that's important here, so it's worth looking at all
environment variables TMPDIR, TEMP, TMP, etc.

Are you running the build in Cygwin, or in a Windows CMD window?  I use
Cygwin (not quite so current as yours) and don't see this error.

Duncan Murdoch