[Rd] Use of all/any

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Oct 26 18:18:08 CEST 2007

    BDR> all/any coerce their arguments to logical (if
    BDR> possible).  I've added a warning in R-devel if coercion
    BDR> is from something other than integer.

    BDR> This arose because it is easy to make a slip and write
    BDR> all(X) > 0 rather than all(X > 0): thanks to Bill
    BDR> Dunlap for bringing that to my attention.

    BDR> However, it has been useful in detecting quite a few other things:

    BDR> - indices which had been made double where integer was
    BDR> intended. One example from predict.lm was

    BDR>                  iipiv[ii == 0] <- 0

    BDR> which was intended to be

    BDR>                  iipiv[ii == 0L] <- 0L

Hmm....  Do we really want to generate warnings for such small
inefficiencies?
I'm very happy that we've introduced   <n>L integer notation, and
as a subtle programmer, I'm making use of it gladly --- but
still not always, just for code beauty reasons ("0" reads better).

On the other hand, I don't think the casual R / S programmer
should get warnings; after all, S and R  are not C on purpose.

Apropos Bill Dunlap's note:  Do newer versions of S-plus warn?
At least up to 6.2.2, I'm pretty sure no S version has warned
about
	X <- c(0.1, pi)
	all(X) > 0.5

In spite, of the buglets of you have revealed, mentioned below,
currently, I'd still tend to only warn for coercion from
non-numeric, but not from double.

In this context, I have thought again of using *levels* of
warnings, configurable via options(), and we could activate more
stringent warnings when "R CMD check"ing than per default.

Actually, we already have a simple form of that (with I think message()),
and also with the way the 'codetools' ``warnings'' are treated
by 'R CMD check'.
For my taste and "S language feeling", such a
    'double -> logical coercion warning'
is somewhat similar in sprit to some of the codetools warnings.

Martin