[Rd] RSQLite indexing

Marcus G. Daniels mgd at santafe.edu
Tue Oct 23 01:05:10 CEST 2007

Thomas Lumley wrote:
>> How big is your dataset?  SQLite can be slow, but I didn't think it
>> was that slow.
>>

> 350000x100 entries on 12 variables

I had a similar problem a while back and took the opportunity to test
various RDBMS.   I found that a product called TimesTen from Oracle was
the fastest, followed by Microsoft SQL server, followed by Oracle 10
Enterprise with bitmap indicies, followed by Postgres.  RSQLite had
relatively poor performance and I had trouble persuading MySQL to
optimize the query at all.   I did not try any column oriented database
systems like Sybase IQ or Vertica, which should do better for the
read-oriented workload.