[Rd] Fwd: Digest package - make digest generic?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Oct 16 20:29:33 CEST 2007

Hi Roger,

On 16 October 2007 at 08:25, Roger Peng wrote:
| Sorry, I forgot the 'reply-all'.
|
| -roger

But haven't the cryptographers taken care of that argument?

To my layman's understanding, the consensus is that hash collissions are
possible but very very unlikely. And we already have that problem with digest
as it stands as -- if collission are possible, identical hashes could result
from two different input whether or not digest is generic or not.

Or am I missing what you were trying to get at?

| I can see why one might want class-specific behavior, but what a class
| author wants from 'digest' may not be different from what other users
| of 'digest' on that object want.
|
| A simple approach might be
|
| digest0 <- function(x, ...) digest(unclass(x), ...)

Or, just for argument's sake, we go full circle, digest stays as it is and
Hadley implements his own generic, say, 'Digest()', aroumd digest ?  Naa....

I think I like the idea of making it generic, but I really would like to
know more about possible downsides.

Dirk