[Rd] package Geneland / Rgui under windows

Hin-Tak Leung hin-tak.leung at cimr.cam.ac.uk
Mon Oct 15 20:13:14 CEST 2007

I don't have 'genuine' windows, but I have been running win32 R
under wine from time to time for a couple of years (among other
reasons, for testing cross-compilation of our R package - snpMatrix in
http://www-gene.cimr.cam.ac.uk/clayton/software/), and your package
(fields_3.5.zip  Geneland_2.0.8.zip  RandomFields_1.3.30.zip)
works fine with win32 R 2.6.0 Rgui under wine.

However, I notice an anomaly - You are using printf() instead of
Rprintf() - and these messages:

            *****************************
            ***    MCMC inference     ***
            *****************************
   0.200 %
  99.800 %
100.000 %
            ***    End of MCMC inference     ***

get sent to the parent terminal controlling wine, rather than going
into Rgui's console. (we made a similiar mistake in an early version of
snpMatrix).

Consider replacing printf() with Rprintf() . This is an FAQ in the
R-windows FAQ web page. That might be why Rgui hangs in XP but Rterm works.