[Rd] Rmpi_0.5-4 and OpenMPI questions

Hao Yu hyu at stats.uwo.ca
Thu Oct 4 07:11:23 CEST 2007

Hi Dirk,

Thank for pointing out additional flags needed in order to compile Rmpi
correctly. Those flags can be added in configure.ac once openmpi dir is
detected. BTW -DMPI2 flag was missed in your Rmpi since the detection of
openmpi was not good. It should be
####
        if test -d  ${MPI_ROOT}/lib/openmpi; then
                echo "Found openmpi dir in ${MPI_ROOT}/lib"
                MPI_DEPS="-DMPI2"
        fi
####

I tried to run Rmpi under snow and got the same error messenger. But after
checking makeMPIcluster, I found that n=3 was a wrong argument. After
makeMPIcluster finds that count is missing,
count=mpi.comm.size(0)-1 is used. If you start R alone, this will return
count=0 since there is only one member (master). I do not know why snow
did not use count=mpi.universe.size()-1 to find total nodes available.
Anyway after using
cl=makeMPIcluster(count=3),
I was able to run parApply function.

I tried
R -> library(Rmpi) -> library(snow) -> c1=makeMPIcluster(3)

Also
mpirun -host hostfile -np 1 R --no-save
library(Rmpi) -> library(snow) -> c1=makeMPIcluster(3)

Hao

PS: hostfile contains all nodes info so in R mpi.universe.size() returns
right number and will spawn to remote nodes.

Rmp under Debian 3.1 and openmpi 1.2.4 seems OK. I did find some missing
lib under Debian 4.0.

--
Department of Statistics & Actuarial Sciences
Fax Phone#:(519)-661-3813