[Rd] AIX testers needed

Jason Barnhart jasoncbarnhart at msn.com
Mon May 21 20:55:52 CEST 2007

Thanks for responding.

I don't think it's that simple.  That's a soft limit, the hard limit
is "unlimited."

The results of gc() in the original post indicated that R could
utililize more than 32MB of RAM.

My sysadmin had already increased my memory limits prior to my
posting.

Just to confirm here are the results with ulimit -m set to unlimited
prior to calling R.

> xx <- matrix(rep(1e+10,1e7),nrow=1e4,ncol=1e3)
> object.size(xx)/1024^2
[1] 76.29405
> system("ulimit -m")
unlimited
> tmp.df <- as.data.frame(cbind(xx,xx,xx))
Error: cannot allocate vector of size 228.9 Mb