[Rd] RFC: allow packages to advertise vignettes on Windows

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Fri May 18 16:38:40 CEST 2007

I think we've agreed about adding an option to the vignette() function
to allow the user to choose to see all vignettes in installed packages,
or only those that are attached.  Adding this is pretty trivial, and
I'll put it into R-devel soon.

I'd like to set the default to show only attached packages, which would
be consistent with the behaviour of demo() and data().  Vignettes are
still less common than demos or data, so if I do this, I'll also change
the "none found" message to something like

 > vignette()
no vignettes found

Use 'vignette(all = TRUE)'
to list the vignettes in all *available* packages.

Will this change to the default behaviour cause a lot of trouble for anyone?

Duncan Murdoch