[Rd] RFC: allow packages to advertise vignettes on Windows

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Wed May 16 18:51:35 CEST 2007

On 5/16/2007 11:58 AM, Simon Urbanek wrote:

> Um .. I'm not quite sure I understand - all you have to do is
> v=vignette(); v$results[v$results[,1] %in% search(),]
> or am I missing something?

In the interest of avoiding duplication and speeding up the calculation,
I'd put this into the vignette() function (e.g. add an attached=FALSE
argument).  I suspect on a system with several hundred installed
packages vignette(attached=TRUE) could be quite a bit faster than
searching all packages and subsetting afterwards.

> There is one thing that could be addressed I suppose - we don't have
> any hooks for GUIs in the sense that R cannot tell the GUI that
> something changed (e.g. a new package was installed). Right now each
> GUI uses system's facilities (or asynchronous checks) to learn about
> such events. This could be unified (as well as other aspects like
> e.g.  the menu access).

Both of these things would be really nice, but I wouldn't hold off on
Seth's suggestion to wait for them.

Duncan Murdoch