[Rd] Native implementation of rowMedians()

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon May 14 10:20:27 CEST 2007

Hi Henrik,

    HenrikB> Hi,
    HenrikB> I've got a version of rowMedians(x, na.rm=FALSE) for matrices that
    HenrikB> handles missing values implemented in C.  It has been optimized for
    HenrikB> memory and speed.  To avoid coercing integers to doubles, and hence
    HenrikB> allocate an additional 200% memory, there is one C function for
    HenrikB> integers and one for doubles.

    HenrikB> The rowMedians() implementation is currently sitting in my non-CRAN
    HenrikB> package R.native available by:

    HenrikB> source("http://www.braju.com/R/hbLite.R")
    HenrikB> hbLite("R.native")
    HenrikB> library(R.native)
    HenrikB> example(rowMedians)

    HenrikB> The source code package is available at:

    HenrikB> http://www.braju.com/R/repos/R.native_0.1.2.tar.gz

    HenrikB> Before I submit a package to CRAN consisting of pretty much just
    HenrikB> rowMedians(), would it make more sense for it to go into one of the
    HenrikB> core packages?  If so, how should I proceed?

As they say: You have to convince at least one member of R-core
that ``it's worth it''.  {Then he may have to bear the battle
with dissenting core members  ;- }

I'm quite interested, but really you have to do the work of unbundling
it from all the R.oo stuff before I have another longer look.

Martin