[Rd] relist, an inverse operator to unlist

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon May 14 09:53:31 CEST 2007

Nice ideas, Gabor and Andrew.

While I agree with Andrew that such a utility makes for nicer
and considerably better maintainable code in examples like his,
and I do like to provide "inverse operator functions" in R
whenever sensible,
OTOH, we have strived to keep R's "base" package as lean and
clean as possible, so I think this had to go to "utils".

One further small proposal: I'd use class name  "relistable"
since that's what the object of this class are
and hence as.relistable().

What do other R-develers think?
Martin

    GaGr> unlist would not attach a skeleton to every vector it
    GaGr> returns, only the relist method of unlist would.
    GaGr> That way just that method needs to be added and no
    GaGr> changes to unlist itself are needed.

    GaGr> Before applying unlist to an object you would coerce
    GaGr> the object to class "relist" to force the relist
    GaGr> method of unlist to be invoked.

    GaGr> Here is an outline of the code:

    GaGr> as.relist <- function(x) {
    GaGr>  if (!inherits(x, "relist")) class(x) <- c("relist", class(x))
    GaGr>  x
    GaGr> }

    GaGr> unlist.relist <- function(x, ...) {
    GaGr>  y <- x
    GaGr>  cl <- class(y)
    GaGr>  class(y) <- cl[- grep("relist", cl)]
    GaGr>  z <- unlist(y)
    GaGr>  attr(z, "relist") <- y
    GaGr>  as.relist(z)
    GaGr> }

    GaGr> relist <- function(x, skeleton = attr(x, "relist")) {
    GaGr>  # simpler version of relist so test can be executed
    GaGr>  skeleton
    GaGr> }

    GaGr> # test
    GaGr> x <- list(a = 1:2, b = 3)