[Rd] sending signals to embedded R

Luke Tierney luke at stat.uiowa.edu
Mon May 7 00:07:10 CEST 2007

On Sun, 6 May 2007 deepayan.sarkar at gmail.com wrote:

> On 5/5/07, Luke Tierney <luke at stat.uiowa.edu> wrote:

>> interrupts,

>> needs

>> from

>> was
>
> Why is that a problem? As far as I can tell, Qt4 can peacefully
> coexist with Qt3, and while compiling you just need to use the right
> qmake (this is currently hardcoded in the configure script
> unfortunately).
>
> Qt4 has been around for a while now, and it's GPL on Windows/Mac as
> well as X11, so it seemed like the natural choice.

>> well
>> exists

>> > That belief is correct (it has a menu item and a button), but my final
>> > parenthetical remark was that gnomeGUI was not wedged into the event
>> loop.

>> > We builtin the ability for a front-end to register handlers with the R
>> event
>> > loop, including a polling handler (and that is how we can have a Tcl/Tk
>> front
>> > end).  That postdates gnomeGUI, which runs the Gtk event-loop, not R's.
>> >

>> I had forgotten about that -- thanks for the reminder.
>>
>> However, R_PolledEvents is only called from a limited set of places
>> now (including the socket reading code to keep things responsive
>> during blocking reads).  But it is not called from the interupt
>> checking code, which means if a user does something equivalent to
>>
>>     while (TRUE) {}
>>
>> there is not point where events get looked at to see a user interrupt
>> action. The current definition of R_CheckUserInterrupt is
>>
>> void R_CheckUserInterrupt(void)
>> {
>>      R_CheckStack();
>>      /* This is the point where GUI systems need to do enough event
>>         processing to determine whether there is a user interrupt event
>>         pending.  Need to be careful not to do too much event
>>         processing though: if event handlers written in R are allowed
>>         to run at this point then we end up with concurrent R
>>         evaluations and that can cause problems until we have proper
>>         concurrency support. LT */
>> #if  ( defined(HAVE_AQUA) || defined(Win32) )
>>      R_ProcessEvents();
>> #else
>>      if (R_interrupts_pending)
>>          onintr();
>> #endif /* Win32 */
>> }
>>
>> So only on Windows or Mac do we do event processing.
>
> Is there a reason R_ProcessEvents cannot be set on Unix but can on
> Mac? It doesn't seem user-settable on Windows, but whatever the built
> in default is seems to handle the Qt event loop. And for that matter,
> why is it possible to set the file.edit callback on Mac but not Linux?
> This seems arbitrary, and no explanation is given (that I could find).

The R_PRocessEvents callback may be settable on MacOS but I'm not sure
it's used -- at least a quick grep didn't reveal its use anywhere
outside the gnuwin32 code.

It would be good to unify the Mac and *nix mechanisms here since the
OS underpinings are now so similar, but it will have to get high
enough on someone's priority list to happen.

Adding the polled events callback is probably not unreasonable at
least as a temporary measure.  It might be useful to think about an
alternate interface that allows code to distinguish a call frm the
interrupt check, which might want to be very fast and not do any more
than necessary to check for an interrupt event, and calbacks in
blocking situations like socket reads.

>> We could add a
>> R_PolledEvents() call in the #else bit to support this, though the
>> cautions in the comment do need to be kept in mind.
>
> Yes, that's what I ended up trying, and it seems to work reasonably
> well (with one caveat, see below).
>
> My R_PolledEvents calls qApp->processEvents, and if I set the Esc key
> to call kill(getpid(), SIGINT) or onintr(), then I can interrupt some
> things, like Sys.sleep. But without the patch to make
> R_CheckUserInterrupt call R_PolledEvents (or runHandlers) many other
> things, like all plotting routines, cannot be interrupted. So, it
> would indeed be very helpful to have R_PolledEvents called on Linux,
> or allow the setting of the R_ProcessEvents callback.
>
> The problem I'm having with this solution is that whenever I interrupt
> a graphics command, R crashes. This is true for commands being
> evaluated by R_tryEval, but not those run from the REPL (for example,
> if I make the call inside a debug() environment, interrupting it
> causes no problems). As far as I can tell, this is only a problem with
> graphics; other commands can be interrupted even when run using
> R_tryEval().

That sounds like a longjmp being done to a place that doesn't exist --
maybe a threading issue in Qt.  See what gdb tells you about where the
crash is occurring. It might be different for onintr and kill.  You
might also try just setting the R_interrupts_pending flag from the
interrupt event handler rather than calling onintr (which probably
longjmp's) or kill (which may be doing something you don't want if
other threads with other signal handlers are involved).

Best,

luke

--
Luke Tierney