[Rd] Embedding R and registering routines

Duncan Temple Lang duncan at wald.ucdavis.edu
Tue May 1 22:24:45 CEST 2007

Simon Urbanek wrote:
> Since I'm not sure I really understand Jeff's question this is just
> my interpretation, but I think the point was that you may want to
> register symbols *not* from a DLL but from the embedding application
> itself (e.g. like R.app GUI that embeds libR registers its entry for
> quartz.save). I would welcome a support for this, because the current
> dirty hack (don't do this at home, kids!) is to use R_getDllInfo
> ("base") and append the entry instead of overwriting it. It is an
> ugly hack, but I don't think we have any API for this. Maybe a
> worthwhile endeavor would be to simply add something like R_getDllInfo
> ("embedded") reserved specifically for such purposes (or "R" or
> whatever...).

I think we are all talking about the same thing and the code
that I posted does that for a DLL coming from an arbitrary
package rather than base.

Rather than having yet another global concept, i.e. "embedded", we
could allow users to add their own R_DllInfo and so allow mire than on
in the same session.  The only issue is removing them, freeing the
memory, and so on.  But this is relatively easy to do, and various
implementations suggest themselves.

Thanks for the feedback.

 D.