[Rd] [R] Can I scale the labels in a 'persp' graph?

Paul Murrell p.murrell at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Mar 27 23:11:08 CEST 2007

Hi

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> [Moved to R-devel to ask a policy question.]
>
> On Fri, 16 Mar 2007, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
>
>> On 3/16/2007 8:02 AM, salcaraz at obelix.umh.es wrote:
>>> Hi all:
>>>
>>> I'm using 'persp' for 3D graphics.
>>>
>>> I need the axis's labels smaller than by defect.
>>>
>>> I see in 'help()', the information about 'par()'.

>>> perspc(.................)
>>>
>>> and the result don't change.
>>>
>>> The question is: Can I change the size of labels in the perps graph??
>>>
>>> Thank you in advance:
>>>
>>> /salva
>>>
>>> 'cex.axis' The magnification to be used for axis annotation
>>>            relative to the current setting of 'cex'. (Some functions
>>>            such as 'points' accept a vector of values which are
>>>            recycled.  Other uses will take just the first value if a
>>>            vector of length greater than one is supplied.)
>>>
>>> 'cex.lab' The magnification to be used for x and y labels relative
>>>            to the current setting of 'cex'.
>> Those don't appear to be supported by persp, but cex is: e.g.
>>
>> x <- 1:10
>> y <- 1:10
>> z <- outer(x,y,function(x,y) sin((x+y)/10))
>> persp(x,y,z, cex=0.5)
>
> I've added this to ?persp and ?par, but I wondered if people thought we
> should change this to be like 2D plots.  Especially Ross I., who I believe
> is the author here?

I think Ross wrote the original.  I've hacked some of it a couple of
times.  I have no problem with allowing par()s to work with persp(),
though not everything makes sense (e.g., par("mar"), or par("mgp") where
it gets tricky to get units right or units just do not make sense).
There are also 2D-specific ones, like par("xaxt"), though in those cases
one option might be to just offer an inline z-analogue in the arguments
to persp() (?)

Paul
--
Dr Paul Murrell