[Rd] Developer work cycle

"José Luis Aznarte M." jlaznarte at decsai.ugr.es
Mon Mar 26 18:42:43 CEST 2007

    Hi! I've been browsing through the last months' archive and I can't
find an answer to my question, so here it is (let's hope it's not too
obvious):
    I'm working on extensions of an R library, and I would be very
surprised if everyone developing R packages is doing the following, as I do:

        1.- Write down a modification of an R file
        2.- Exit the current R session
        3.- Install the package as root (sudo R CMD INSTALL...)
        4.- Launch a new R session
        5.- Test the change, if it does not work, go back to 1 or debug.
        6.- Finish.

    Is this the proper (but quite awkward) way to proceed or there is an
alternative to skip steps 2 to 4? I'm using emacs with ESS under linux.
Thank you in advance for your time! Best regards,

Jose Luis Aznarte M.       http://decsai.ugr.es/~jlaznarte
Department of Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence
Universidad de Granada           Tel. +34 - 958 - 24 04 67
GRANADA (Spain)                  Fax: +34 - 958 - 24 00 79