[Rd] R 2.5.0 devel try issue in conjuntion with S4 method dispatch

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Sat Mar 17 01:14:05 CET 2007

"Matthias Burger" <matthias.burger at epigenomics.com> writes:
> Well, I understand I should have spent more time trimming my example
> to the minimal required code. Again this piece was copied & reduced.

No need to have done anything differently.  I commented on the code
in hopes that it might be helpful for others learning S4 stuff -- so I
think the discussion is useful even if it isn't your real code :-)

> The actual package uses a namespace which only exports the method but not
> the function.
> Using the .className extension scheme I can still get at the actual
> code at the R prompt via ':::'  which I find just handy.

If you switched to _className, then there would be no S3 confusion.
There are performance implications in doing things this way, but I
agree it is convenient.

Cheers,

+ seth

--
Seth Falcon | Computational Biology | Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
http://bioconductor.org