[Rd] clients and carriage returns

Joe Conway mail at joeconway.com
Wed Jun 20 22:09:44 CEST 2007

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> I think the question is how are you accessing the parser?  The only
> public interface is R_ParseVector, and that works like parse(text=):

Yes, I'm using R_ParseVector. PL/R basically takes the function's text
as stored in the Postgres system catalog table (prosrc field of
pg_catalog.pg_proc), and feeds it to R_ParseVector more-or-less
unchanged (currently).

> This does not happen when reading from files, as the connection
> machinery converts line endings (or fgets does).  So I think the problem
> may be in how you (or PostgreSQL) are getting text from files.

That makes sense. Many people use a database client such as PgAdmin III
to create PL/R (and other) functions. PgAdmin adds standard Win32 EOLs
to multiline CREATE FUNCTION statements, and Postgres dutifully stores
them with the rest of the text in the catalog, exactly as received.

> The rules of R syntax are quite simple, e.g.
>
>   Newlines have a function which is a combination of token separator and
>   expression terminator.  If an expression can terminate at the end of
>   the line the parser will assume it does so, otherwise the newline is
>   treated as whitespace.  Semicolons (@samp{;}) may be used to separate
>   elementary expressions on the same line.

I saw this paragraph, but it failed to register (through my thick skull)
that Newline is quite literally \n. Thanks for pointing it out.

Best regards,

Joe