[Rd] bug in R environments? Was: [BioC] 'recursive default argument' error...

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jun 12 13:12:39 CEST 2007

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007, Oleg Sklyar wrote:

> Dear developers,
>
> has anyone experienced the problem described below? Is it a bug in
> handling interrupts in R?

I am not sure where you think the 'bug' is in: cf your subject line.
My guess is that the package is using environments in a vulnerable way.

I cannot reproduce your example on my system: I was able to interrupt but
repeating the as.list worked.  What I suspect may have happened is that
you have interrupted lazy loading.  From the code

 	    if(PRSEEN(e))
 		errorcall(R_GlobalContext->call,
 			  _("recursive default argument reference"));
 	    SET_PRSEEN(e, 1);
 	    val = eval(PRCODE(e), PRENV(e));
 	    SET_PRSEEN(e, 0);

so you will get this message from a promise whose evaluation was
incomplete.  I can see several ways around that, but most have runtime
costs or back-compatibility issues.  (Changing the message may help.)

It looks like rae230a has been implemented to use lazy-loading on whole
environments (the 'source' is already a lazyload database, so it's not
transparent).  Lazy-loading was intended for members of environments.

Also, does this happen in R-devel?  There lazy-loading is considerably
faster and closer to an atomic operation.

All guesswork on something I cannot reproduce, of course.