[Rd] HTML vignette browser

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Mon Jun 4 19:03:41 CEST 2007

Friedrich Leisch <friedrich.leisch at stat.uni-muenchen.de> writes:
> Looks good to me, and certainly something worth being added to R.
>
> 2 quick (related) comments:
>
> 1) I am not sure if we want to include links to the Latex-Sources by
>    default, those might confuse unsuspecting novices a lot. Perhaps
>    make those optional using an argument to browseVignettes(), which
>    is FALSE by default?

I agree that the Rnw could confuse folks.  But I'm not sure it needs
to be hidden or turned off by default...  If the .R file was also
included then it would be less confusing I suspect as the curious
could deduce what Rnw is about by triangulation.

> 2) Instead links to .Rnw files we may want to include links to the R
>    code -> should we R CMD INSTALL a tangled version of each vignette
>    such that we can link to it? Of course it is redundant information
>    given the .Rnw, but we also have the help pages in several formats
>    ready.

Including, by default, links to the tangled .R code seems like a
really nice idea.  I think a lot of users who find vignettes don't
realize that all of the code used to generate the entire document is
available to them -- I just had a question from someone who wanted to
know how to make a plot that appeared in a vignette, for example.

+ seth

--
Seth Falcon | Computational Biology | Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
http://bioconductor.org