[Rd] SQL server service pack 2 prob? (PR#9810)

jeff.lindon at thelearninginstitute.net jeff.lindon at thelearninginstitute.net
Thu Jul 26 15:39:42 CEST 2007

Full_Name: Jeff Lindon
Version: 2.5.0
OS: mingw32
Submission from: (NULL) (63.147.8.67)

R 2.5.0 seems to be unable to read valid tables from SQL Server 2005 with
Service Pack 2 installed:

> version
               _
platform       i386-pc-mingw32
arch           i386
os             mingw32
system         i386, mingw32
status
major          2
minor          5.0
year           2007
month          04
day            23
svn rev        41293
language       R
version.string R version 2.5.0 (2007-04-23)
> library(RODBC)
> channel <- odbcConnect("TLIAS01", uid="jeff.lindon")
> channel
RODB Connection 1
Details:
  case=nochange
  DSN=TLIAS01
  UID=jeff.lindon
  Trusted_Connection=Yes
  WSID=TLIJLINDON
  DATABASE=tliresearch
> d <- sqlFetch(channel, District)
Error in odbcTableExists(channel, sqtable) :
        object "District" not found

I have checked this problem with our CIO and he confirmed my Data Source
configuration is correct (the connection test confirmed that R is able to
connect to the database), and that the table really does exist and I have
correct permissions (I work with it daily). Moreover, I was working between R
and SQL Server 2005 with no problems before yesterday using the same exact set
of instructions. The only change our CIO and I could think of is the recent
installation of Service Pack 2.

Unfortunately, reverting to Service Pack 1 is not currently an option, so I
cannot be sure this is the problem. I am able to work around the issue by
cutting and pasting the tables I need from SQL to Excel, then saving them as
csv's. Saving directly from SQL to csv (highlighting the desired output and
right-clicking) also causes problems for read.csv. I never tried that before
Service Pack 2, though.

I hope this information helps. I absolutely love R and thank you all so much for
your work on it!