[Rd] Field initialization order bug?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue Jul 17 12:15:29 CEST 2007

Daniel Wilhelm wrote:
> I believe that I may have found a bug in R. The top code sample gives
> an error as shown. However, by simply switching which field is
> initialized first as in the bottom code sample, it works as expected.
>

> This gives an error:
>

> a <- NULL
> a[["field1"]] <- 1
> a[["field2"]] <- matrix(c(2,1), 1)
>
> Error in a[["field2"]] <- matrix(c(2, 1), 1) :
> 	more elements supplied than there are to replace
>

> Yet, this works as expected:
>
> a <- NULL
> a[["field2"]] <- matrix(c(2,1), 1)
> a[["field1"]] <- 1

I'm surprised any of these work.  I didn't expect to be able to index
NULL, but the clue is there in the man page for "[[":  "the
left-hand-side is coerced as needed to accept the values."

What's happening is that in the first case, a becomes a numeric vector,
and you can't assign a matrix to an element of a numeric vector.  It
won't fit.

In the second case, a  becomes a list, and the assignments both succeed.

Duncan Murdoch