[Rd] cleanup and Makevars

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jul 11 18:30:56 CEST 2007

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007, Kasper Daniel Hansen wrote:

> Hi
>
> This is a question prompted by the mac version of R, but as I see it,
> it should have broader interest.
>
> These days the CRAN Mac binary per default compiles every package for
> two architectures. First i386 and then ppc. In between the two
> compilation runs, any object files in pkgname/src is removed. This
> cleanup is necessary since otherwise Make would not recompile the
> object files under the next architecture.
>
> I have a package which includes a large SDK which I have put in
>   src/fusion_sdk
> (and subdirectories). I take care of that by using a Makevars file
> with essentially (the whole Makevars file is reproduced below)
>
> PKG_SOURCES = \
>         fusion_sdk/calvin_files/data/src/CDFData.cpp
>
> OBJS=$(PKG_SOURCES:.cpp=.o)
>
> all: $(SHLIB)
>
> However, this setup does not remove the object files in the
> fusion_sdk subdirectory. From a posting on R-sig-mac by Simon Urbanek
> I learned that I need to clean up these directories myself.
>
> I have - per R extensions - attempted to do so using a pkgname/
> cleanup script. While this works for cleaning up the sub directories
> when I do R CMD build, it seems as if this script is not being run
> between compilation runs (is this intentional btw.?).

What do you mean by 'compilation runs'?  The 'cleanup' script will be run
by R CMD INSTALL --cleanup (and without --cleanup it is intentionally not
run).

> So my question is now: how do I in a simple way clean up my
> subdirectories? I would prefer it to be as simple as possible because
> so far I have not really needed anything besides a Makevars file. In
> fact the impression I have right now from looking at the SHLIB and
> INSTALL scripts is that I might need a Makefile that removes the
> object files _before_ starting the compilation, as I don't really see
> any cleanup process (eg. making a target clean) - but this may very
> well be due to my limited understanding of these scripts.

I see R CMD INSTALL --clean that runs a clean up afterwards, and 2.6.0
will also have R CMD INSTALL --preclean in case you forgot --clean on the
last run.

> Any help/hints on how to proceed? Especially if I want it to be
> portable?

What does R CMD INSTALL --clean not do that you want?

If you are talking about R CMD SHLIB, that currently does not clean up but
this has been raised and it will most likely have a --clean option in
2.6.0 that removes $(OBJECTS).

> Kasper
>
> The full Makevars file:
>
> MYCXXFLAGS=-O0

You do realize that is highly non-portable?

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk