[Rd] [R] How to preserve data across function calls in a library package

Saptarshi Guha sapsi at pobox.com
Tue Jul 10 18:33:26 CEST 2007

Hi,
	Some progress: I am using
	SEXP retty;
	book=Calloc(1,int);
	*book=10;
	PROTECT(retty=R_MakeExternalPtr(book,R_NilValue,R_NilValue));

	then UNPROTECTING and returning retty.

	In a another function,
	foo(SEXP s){
	 int* f=(int *)R_ExternalPtrAddr(p);
	 Rprintf("many times %d\n",*f);
}

	When called do_foo(p) where do_foo calls foo and p is the pointer
returned by the former code snippet, the Rprintf successfully prints
the correct value but subsequently crashes
*** caught bus error ***
address 0x0, cause 'invalid alignment'.

	I can't figure out why... I would appreciate any advice provided.
	Rgds
	Saptarshi