[Rd] packages using UTF-8 encoding

Sebastian P. Luque spluque at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 15:57:45 CEST 2007

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 14:23:17 +0100 (BST),
Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

[...]

> \encoding(UTF-8}, yes.

Oops, yes (shift key pressed longer than needed).

> However, I would be worried about anything which 'needs' UTF-8 encoding,
> since it is going to be far from portable.  If all you need are
> characters from ISO-8859-1, it is more portable to use that.

Right, this is for accents in some spanish/french words.  I was thinking
of UTF-8 since that's my current locale, but that's probably irrelevant
for setting these directives here (accents).  So if ISO-8859-1 is more
portable, I think latin1 should be fine in this case.  Thanks.

--
Seb