[Rd] packages using UTF-8 encoding

Sebastian P. Luque spluque at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 14:59:15 CEST 2007

Hi,

During a recent CRAN upload procedure, I was reminded of the following
regarding R-devel:

    o   R CMD check now warns on non-ASCII .Rd files without an
        \encoding field, rather than just on ones that are definitely
        not from an ISO-8859 encoding.  This agrees with the
        long-standing stipulation in 'Writing R Extensions', and
        catches some packages with UTF-8 man pages.

    o   R CMD check now warns on DESCRIPTION files with a non-portable
        Encoding field, or with non-ASCII data and no Encoding field.

So if we need UTF-8 encoding for the DESCRIPTION and *.Rd files, would it
be sufficient to have an "Encoding: UTF-8" line in the former and a
"\encoding{UTF-*}" in the latter?  Thanks.

Cheers,

--
Seb