[Rd] cor() and cor.test() (PR#9781)

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at intermountainmail.org
Thu Jul 5 22:40:09 CEST 2007

The cor function does not know how to look inside of data frames (unless
you give it the entire data frame as the only argument).  If Pollution
and Wet.days are columns of the data frame named Pollution (which I
infer from your problem statement below) then you can do things like:

> cor(Pollution$Pollution, Pollution$Wed.days)

Or

> cor( Pollution[ ,c('Pollution','Wet.days')] )

Or

> with( Pollution, cor(Pollution, Wet.days) )

Or

> attach(Pollution)
> cor(Pollution, Wet.days)
> detach()

The last one may have problems since the data frame has the same name as
the column.  The with option is prefered to the last one anyways.

Hope this helps,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center