[Rd] possible bug: dev.copy / could not find any X11 fonts

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Wed Jan 31 18:14:10 CET 2007

Tamas K Papp wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am experiencing something strange, and thought I would ask before
> reporting a bug.  I trimmed it down to a self-contained example,
> attached as an R file.  The purpose of the functions is to save the
> plots into a ps file and simultaneously plot them on an x11 device,
> but don't open a new one if there is already one opened (I don't want
> the repositioning / flicker).
>
> When running the code:
>

>> source("plotf.r")
>> plotf(avc,1)
>>
> Error in dev.copy(which = x11dev) : could not find any X11 fonts
> Check that the Font Path is correct.
>
> The error message reappears whenever I switch to the plot window.  A
> partial plot is in the x11 window.
>
> When called in other contexts, plotting functions work perfectly, so I
> don't see what the problem is.

Annoying, but your example works for me, so I suspect that the problem
is nevertheless a setup issue at your end....   I would guess that the
culprit is the tiny font used to label the axes. Things like this
sometimes happen when you are missing 75dpi fontset. If you fire up
xfontsel, can you find

-adobe-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-8-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1

?
(available pixel sizes should be 8,10,11,12,14,17,18,20,24,25,34)