[Rd] PGF Device

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Wed Jan 31 13:29:59 CET 2007

On 1/30/2007 8:50 PM, jtxx000 wrote:
> Greetings all,
> PGF is a package for LaTeX which works with both ps
> and pdf output without any nasty hacks like pictex.
> Is there any technical reason why there could not be a
> PGF graphic device for R?  If not, I'm going to try to
> throw one together.  Any tips for getting started?

The existing drivers are in the grDevices package.  I would start with
one of those (the picTeX driver would probably be most similar) and go
from there.  Alternatively, start from devNULL.c and fill in the blanks.

Someone else may be able to offer advice about whether you should be
targetting this to be your own package, or for inclusion in the R
source.  In the past it's been impossible to create a driver in a
package, and there's been talk about adding enough to the API to allow
this, but I don't know whether that's in place yet.

Duncan Murdoch