[Rd] Speed of for loops

Oleg Sklyar osklyar at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Jan 30 13:15:29 CET 2007

Tom,

*apply's generally speed up calculations dramatically. However, if and
only if you do a repetitive operation on a vector, list matrix which
does NOT require accessing other elements of that variable than the one
currently in the *apply index. This means in your case any of *apply
will not speed up your calculation (until you significantly rethink the
code). At the same time, you can speed up your code by orders of
magnitude using c-functions for "complex" vector indexing operations. If
you need instructions, I can send you a very nice "Step-by-step guide
for using C/C++ in R" which goes beyond "Writing R Extensions" document.

Otherwise, such questions should be posted to R-help, not Rd, please
post correspondingly.

Best regards,
Oleg

--
Dr Oleg Sklyar * EBI/EMBL, Cambridge CB10 1SD, England * +44-1223-494466