[Rd] Useful statusbar in RGui

talepanda talepanda at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 16:05:55 CET 2007

Dear Prof Ripley, thank you for your suggestion.

> > I think it is very useful if statusbars says current directory,
> > because in my daily use I open several Rgui windows in different
> > directory (that is, different project), and it is diffecult to find
> > the window which I want.
>
> It is not clear to me that information is best put in the status bar and
> not the title bar (which is where Unix-like systems can put it, and even
> where Explorer does, and can be seen in the minimized versions).  So I
> would think setWindowTitle() was at least as appropriate (and so did the
> person who wrote its examples).

Title bar is good alternative.
Adding codes below to Rprofile.site works good.

utils::setWindowTitle(base::getwd())
utils::assignInNamespace("setwd",function(dir){.Internal(setwd(dir));setWindowTitle(base::getwd())},"base")

> > Someone may hope something else.
> >

> > So, my proposal is to allow users to change the message in status bar.
> >
> > I think that a wrapper for function "setstatus" in
> > src/guiwin32/graphapp/status.c is enough for this purpose.
>
> Yes, that has been proposed recently in connection with interfaces for
> messages().  Note though that at present only the MDI interface has the
> option of a status bar.  I think we should move to a more standard way of
> having these 'toolbars' on or off (e.g. ticked items on a View menu).

I agree.
A standard interface is a good interface, and a good interface helps our works.

Thanks, again.