[Rd] is it necessary to always register C routines with R_registerRoutines?

Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jan 24 10:15:25 CET 2007

No, in answer to the subject line.

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007, Vladimir Eremeev wrote:

> I am writing bindings to the neural network simulator SNNS.
> At present I have used only .C interface, now I'm studying .Call interface.
>
> I have adapted the example from page 77 of r-exts.pdf, however, it crashes
> R.

Page numbers depend on what paper it is formatted for, but on A4 this is
nothing like the example on page 77.

> I use MingW as recommended by Duncan Murdoch.
> Please, tell me what I am missing.
> The code is below.
>
> Thank you.
>
> SEXP snns_getVersion(void)
> {SEXP version;
> char *v;
>
>  PROTECT(version=NEW_CHARACTER(15));
>  v=CHARACTER_POINTER(version);
>  strcpy(v,krui_getVersion());

I very much doubt that does what you think it does (but you have not told
us).  I think the S-compatible Rdefines.h macros are really confusing for
use in R, as R and S differ in how character vectors are stored.  In
particular, use of CHARACTER_POINTER is likely to get into trouble as it
is necessary to use SET_STRING_ELT in R.  (Similarly, CREATE_STRING_VECTOR
does no such thing: it creates an element of a character vector.)

In this case

 	version = mkString(krui_getVersion());

would seem to be all that is needed.  But if you want to do it by hand,

     PROTECT(version=NEW_CHARACTER(1));
     SET_STRING_ELT(version, 0, mkChar(krui_getVersion()));
     UNPROTECT(1);

is the sort of thing needed.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk