[Rd] C vs. C++ as learning and development tool for R

Kimpel, Mark William mkimpel at iupui.edu
Fri Jan 19 16:04:56 CET 2007

Thanks to all for your excellent suggestions. I think will I proceed
working through the Stroustrup book. He has a section on comparing C
with C++ and one on working with legacy C code that may prove helpful. I
also have a "C for Dummies" (something like that, I don't have it right
next to me) that I have also been reading. A couple of follow-up
questions:

1. As I understand it, if I just wanted to distribute compiled code, I
could use whatever extended C or C++ libraries that I wanted to use,
however, since R is open source and people need to be able to compile
things themselves, I imagine I would get into trouble (figuratively)
using, say, the C++ STL. Would I need to distribute these files as well?
For example, iostream instead of stdio.h. Or, should I just not use
those?

2. For those of you who develop C on Windows (probably a small bunch!),
what is your preferred development environment? I have the free Borland
Turbo C++ and Visual C++ 6.0 (I knew enough to stay away from .NET). I
tried to install the C++ module for Eclipse and, for me at least, it was
a nightmare. I am not UNIX or DOS savvy and setting path variables and
the like just made things too complicated.

3. Lastly, is there a C or C++ community similar to R that I could
address questions relating to those languages to? I don't want to abuse
the R list as I learn.

Thanks,
Mark

Mark W. Kimpel MD

(317) 490-5129 Work, & Mobile

(317) 663-0513 Home (no voice mail please)

1-(317)-536-2730 FAX