[Rd] (PR#9437) pb in regular expression with the character "-"

Hin-Tak Leung hin-tak.leung at cimr.cam.ac.uk
Mon Jan 8 13:15:24 CET 2007

May I chip in at this point - I agree the bug report was invalid, but
many of the replies were missing the point, as far as I see. It
wasn't the backslash escape that "Fan" is *mainly* confused about
(which he obviously is...), but the uses of the different brackets:
[] ,() .

He/She was expecting this:
         egrep '[a|\-|c]' foo.txt
to work the same as:
         egrep '(a|\-|c)'  foo.txt

which they do not. They are totally different. (and he doesn't know
the proper use of "|" either... so we basically have established that
"Fan" doesn't understand how \, |, [] and () are used in
regular expressions...).

HTL