[Rd] substitute creates an object whichprints incorrectly (PR#9427)

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Mon Jan 8 01:09:15 CET 2007

On 1/7/2007 6:55 PM, Mark.Bravington at csiro.au wrote:
>> I think we should get rid of source attributes completely,
>> since they are no longer needed, but your comment still
>> applies to source references. We should strip them when code
>> gets modified.
>>
>> Duncan Murdoch
>
> I would be very concerned about losing source attributes-- it would
> break a lot of my code :(! It's very useful to have a single portable R
> object that contains the whole of a function, including its printable
> representation with full comments and formatted in whatever style the
> author prefers (and indeed the documentation, in the way I work); I use
> .Rdata files to swap multiple functions & data with colleagues all the
> time.
>
> Source references-to-files entail having to keep track of separate
> files, so are much less portable.
>
> I haven't had time to follow Duncan's recent changes on source
> references, but would it also be possible to use the new
> attribute-attaching-indexing mechanism to point to places in the
> 'source' attribute rather than in a file? That might offer the best of
> both worlds to dinosaurs like me who rely on source attributes...

You can do essentially that using a reference to a srcfilecopy, instead
of a srcfile.  It keeps a copy of the source. The difference between
this and your proposal is that if there are multiple functions defined
in the same file, the source references of all of them refer to the same
copy of the source file (so you can see the comments that came between
the function definitions, etc.)

What is not done yet (and I probably won't have time to do for 2.5.0) is
working out exactly what the user interface is that determines whether a
srcfilecopy gets produced automatically.  Right now it only happens if
you parse using the text= arg instead of the file= arg, but clearly
there are situations where you'd want to save a copy even though you're
reading from a file.

Duncan Murdoch