[Rd] environmentName

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 16:01:49 CET 2007

One other comment.  If I place an attribute on the environment as you
suggest that changes all uses of the environment.  I cannot keep the
original environment intact and have a subobject which represents the
original environment plus the attribute.  This is just one example of why
the feature discussed in my wishlist is needed (i.e. the ability to have
the attributes attached to variables rather than to the environment itself).
The only way to handle this currently is with the list(env = ...) construct
and attach the name to that but that is a lot of overhead since its means
that the subobject is not an environment so all environment methods
need to be replicated rather than inherited/delegated from the superobject
which really ought to be properly supported.