[Rd] pb in regular expression with the character "-" (PR#9437)

maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Jan 4 22:18:08 CET 2007

    FanX> Let me detail a bit my bug report: the two commands
    FanX> ("expected" vs "strange") should return the same
    FanX> result, the objective of the commands is to test the
    FanX> presence of several characters, '-'included.

    FanX> The order in which we specify the different characters
    FanX> must not be an issue, i.e., to test the presence of
    FanX> several characters, including say char_1, the regular
    FanX> expressions [char_1|char_2|char_3] and
    FanX> [char_2|char_1|char_3] should play the same
    FanX> role. Other softwares work just like this.

    FanX> What's reported is that R actually returns different
    FanX> result for the character "-" (\- in a RE) regarding
    FanX> it's position in the regular expression, and the
    FanX> "perl" option would not be relevant.

Fan, it seems haven't understood what Brian Ripley explained to
you:  Let me try to spell it out for you:

"\-" is *NOT* what you seem still to be thinking it is:

  > "\-"
  [1] "-"
  > identical("\-", "-")
  [1] TRUE

This is all in the R-FAQ entry
    >>> 7.37 Why does backslash behave strangely inside strings?

and in several other places, and yes,
please do read the R FAQ and maybe more documentation
about R and "bug reporting" before your next bug report.

Consider my guesstimate:
For 99% of all R users, the amount of time they need working
pretty intensely with R before they find a bug in it,
is nowadays more than three years, and maybe even much more
-- such as their lifetime :-)

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich