[Rd] Which programming paradigm is the most used for make R packages?

Ross Boylan ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Wed Jan 3 21:49:56 CET 2007

On Wed, Jan 03, 2007 at 11:46:16AM -0600, Ricardo Rios wrote:
> Hi wizards, does somebody know  Which programming paradigm is the most
> used for make R packages ? Thanks in advance.

You need to explain what you mean by the question, for example what
paradigms you have in mind.

R is a functional language; as I've discovered, this means some
standard OO programming approaches don't carry over too naturally.  In
particular, functions don't really "belong" to classes.  R purists
would probably want that to say class-based 00 programming doesn't
fit, since R is function-based OO.

There is a package that  permits a more traditional ("class-based") OO
style; I think it's called R.oo.

Ross Boylan