[Rd] Connections to https: URLs -- IE expert help needed

Duncan Temple Lang duncan at wald.ucdavis.edu
Tue Jan 2 02:15:02 CET 2007

Kurt Hornik wrote:

> > Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> >> I've added to R-devel the ability to use download.file() and url() to
> >> https: URLs, *only* if --internet2 is used on Windows.
> >>
> >> This uses the Internet Explorer internals, and only works if the
> >> certificate is accepted (so e.g. does not work for
> >> https://svn.r-project.org).
> >>
> >> Now I use IE (and Windows for that matter) only when really necessary, and
> >> Firefox has simple ways to permanently accept non-verifiable certificates.
> >> I would be grateful if someone who is much more familiar with IE could
> >> write a note explaining how to deal with this that we could add to the
> >> rw-FAQ.
> >>
> >> To forestall the inevitable question: there are no plans to add https:
> >> support on any other platform, but it is something that would make a nice
> >> project for a user contribution.  The current internal code is based on
> >> likxml2, and that AFAICS still does not have https: support.
> >>

> > Generally (i.e. not in particular response to Brian but related to
> > this thread)
>
> With a similar disclaimer: Brian's efforts were triggered by me asking
> how to use url() to read R's mailing list archive files, such as
>
>   https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2007-January.txt.gz
>
> directly into R.  Turns out we cannot ... which, in a way, is a shame
> ("R cannot read its own web pages") :-(

Indeed, it is a shame.  Although, when I process mail messages,
I use Perl's very rich collection of modules for processing
mail in so many different formats. And then I use RSPerl
to control this and get the data into R pretty quickly.
So we can do it in R and probably the delegation to
mail-processing software is a good given the number of special
cases, etc.

And even if we had HTTPs in R, we would still want to deal with
the certificate on that page, which gets us to more details.
Which is the reason I think leaving things to libcurl,
libwww, etc. will be best as they continue to evolve
to handle new protocols and settings.

 D.