[Rd] IDE for R C++ package writing ?

Vincent Goulet vincent.goulet at act.ulaval.ca
Fri Feb 23 15:34:36 CET 2007

Le Vendredi 23 Février 2007 05:49, mel a écrit :
> Dear all,
>
> I have to develop a (hopefully) small package for R in C++.
> I didn't code in C++ for some years, and i'm now searching
> for an adequate IDE for this task.
>
> Some of my criterions : not proprietary, not too heavy,
> open to linux, not java gasworks, still maintained, etc
>
> After looking on several places
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_C%2B%2B_compilers_and_integrated_devel
>opment_environments http://www.freeprogrammingresources.com/cppide.html
> + R docs
> I was thinking on code::blocks, and emacs (and perhaps vim)
>
> Emacs seems used by some R developers as an R editor.
> So i did think on emacs because it could perhaps be interesting
> to have the same editor for R code and C++ code.
>
> However, when looking at the last emacs windows version,
> it seems to date from january 2004 ... (dead end ?)
> ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs/windows/
>
> I will be grateful for all advices on this tool topic.
> Better choosing emacs ? or code::blocks ?
> or another idea ?
> Does somebody have an idea about the most used IDEs for
> R C++ package writing ?

So, many other people told you that Emacs is a good choice. If you want to try
it out, I also maintain a modified version of GNU Emacs that is simple to
install and works with ESS and the latest version of R out of the box:

	http://vgoulet.act.ulaval.ca/emacs

Please note that the bells and whistles of EmacsW32 are not included. It is a
plain GNU Emacs 21.3 with AUCTeX, ESS, Aspell and other minor enhancements
thrown in.

HTH

--
  Vincent Goulet, Associate Professor