[Rd] IDE for R C++ package writing ?

Henric Nilsson (Public) nilsson.henric at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 13:54:34 CET 2007

Den Fr, 2007-02-23, 11:49 skrev mel:
> Dear all,
>
> I have to develop a (hopefully) small package for R in C++.
> I didn't code in C++ for some years, and i'm now searching
> for an adequate IDE for this task.
>
> Some of my criterions : not proprietary, not too heavy,
> open to linux, not java gasworks, still maintained, etc
>
> After looking on several places
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_C%2B%2B_compilers_and_integrated_development_environments
> http://www.freeprogrammingresources.com/cppide.html
> + R docs
> I was thinking on code::blocks, and emacs (and perhaps vim)
>
> Emacs seems used by some R developers as an R editor.
> So i did think on emacs because it could perhaps be interesting
> to have the same editor for R code and C++ code.
>
> However, when looking at the last emacs windows version,
> it seems to date from january 2004 ... (dead end ?)
> ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs/windows/

Not a dead end:
Emacs development has continued and version 22 is due RSN. For Windows
users, I'd recommend EmacsW32 and binaries of the patched Emacs available
from http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32.html. The binaries are current
(22.0.93.1 last time I checked) and the provided EmacsW32 extension offers
quite a few goodies.

HTH,
Henric