[Rd] IDE for R C++ package writing ?

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz at cnio.es
Fri Feb 23 12:23:42 CET 2007

On Friday 23 February 2007 11:49, mel wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have to develop a (hopefully) small package for R in C++.
> I didn't code in C++ for some years, and i'm now searching
> for an adequate IDE for this task.
>
> Some of my criterions : not proprietary, not too heavy,
> open to linux, not java gasworks, still maintained, etc
>
> After looking on several places
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_C%2B%2B_compilers_and_integrated_devel
>opment_environments http://www.freeprogrammingresources.com/cppide.html
> + R docs
> I was thinking on code::blocks, and emacs (and perhaps vim)
>
> Emacs seems used by some R developers as an R editor.
> So i did think on emacs because it could perhaps be interesting
> to have the same editor for R code and C++ code.
>
> However, when looking at the last emacs windows version,
> it seems to date from january 2004 ... (dead end ?)
> ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs/windows/
>
> I will be grateful for all advices on this tool topic.
> Better choosing emacs ? or code::blocks ?
> or another idea ?
> Does somebody have an idea about the most used IDEs for
> R C++ package writing ?

Dear Vincent,

I wouldn't let the date of 2004 scare you away from emacs. And, if I
understand, in windows you can also use xemacs and/or emacs.

One extremely nice feature of using Emacs is using the very same editor for R,
C, C++, or anything else for that matter. It certainly fits your other
requirements

> Some of my criterions : not proprietary, not too heavy,
> open to linux, not java gasworks, still maintained, etc

Good luck!

R.

> Thanks
> Vincent

Ramón Díaz-Uriarte
Statistical Computing Team
Centro Nacional de Investigaciones Oncológicas (CNIO)
(Spanish National Cancer Center)
Melchor Fernández Almagro, 3
28029 Madrid (Spain)
Fax: +-34-91-224-6972
Phone: +-34-91-224-6900

http://ligarto.org/rdiaz
PGP KeyID: 0xE89B3462
(http://ligarto.org/rdiaz/0xE89B3462.asc)

**NOTA DE CONFIDENCIALIDAD** Este correo electrónico, y en s...{{dropped}}