[Rd] R_tryEval not properly documented in 'Writing R Extensions' (PR#9524)

Byron Ellis ellis at stat.harvard.edu
Thu Feb 22 20:50:09 CET 2007

Considering the lack of embedding documentation until relatively
recently, the fact that the function appeared in Rinternals and the
Embedding test cases makes it more part of the API that its appearance
in any documentation since anyone embedding would have to base their
work on those test cases.

In any case, my second claim---that the function is used heavily by
projects under the official R umbrella as well as outside of
it---still stands and should probably serve as sufficient cause to
nominate R_tryEval for the public API.

On 2/22/07, Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Feb 2007, ellis at stat.harvard.edu wrote:
>
> > Full_Name: Byron Ellis
> > Version: 2.4.1
> > OS: N/A
> > Submission from: (NULL) (75.55.126.10)
> >

> > R_tryEval is implied to be in the public API by 'Embedding R in Other
> > Applications,' but not documented in 'Writing R Extensions.' This would seem to
> > be an oversight given the dependence of many applications including but not
> > limited to the official OS X GUI on this function.
>
> It is not an oversight.  R_tryEval is as far as the R sources are
> concerned just part of the test examples for embedding.
>
> I think you may be referring to
>
> http://developer.r-project.org/embedded.html
>
> That does not list R_tryEval in 'Routines for the Embedded R', so makes no
> such implication (and in any case dates from 2000, before there was a
> documented interface).
>
> --

Byron Ellis (byron.ellis at gmail.com)
"Oook" -- The Librarian