[Rd] Custom per-package options passed down via library() ?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Feb 20 08:46:05 CET 2007

Some packages have their own option-like mechanism, e.g. sm.
Others use environment variables for this purpose.
And there are userhooks for .First.lib, .onLoad and .onAttach that could
be exploited.

In the Hmisc case, you are talking about messages, I believe.  You can
handle those via message classes.  The latter is not as easy as I would
like (and is currently under discussion), but in this particular case the
message class 'packageStartupMessage' of R >= 2.5.0 seems to be what is
wanted.

library() does not have a ... argument, so you cannot do what your subject
line suggests.  Since library() is scheduled to be replaced by use()
sometime Real Soon Now, it is not being enhanced but I think this is part
of the goals for use().

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk