[Rd] question on docs for delayedAssign and substitute

Tony Plate tplate at blackmesacapital.com
Tue Feb 13 19:34:18 CET 2007

The help files for delayedAssign and substitute both say that
substitute() can be used to see the expression associated with a
promise.  However, I can't see how to do that.  When I try the example
in help file for delayedAssign I don't see substitute() extracting the
promise, e.g.:

 > msg <- "old"
 > delayedAssign("x", msg)
 > msg <- "new!"
 > substitute(x) #- I would expect to see 'msg' here
 > x #- new!
[1] "new!"
 > substitute(x)

Has this functionality been removed, and the docs not updated?  Or am I
missing something?

-- Tony Plate

 > sessionInfo()
R version 2.4.1 (2006-12-18)
i386-pc-mingw32

locale:
LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252;LC_CTYPE=English_United
States.1252;LC_MONETARY=English_United
States.1252;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=English_United States.1252

attached base packages:
[1] "stats"     "graphics"  "grDevices" "utils"     "datasets"  "methods"
[7] "base"

other attached packages:
g.data
  "1.6"