[Rd] convolve: request for "usual" behaviour + some improvements + some fixes

Katharine Mullen kate at few.vu.nl
Tue Feb 6 11:51:34 CET 2007

To add to the wish-list for "convolve":

For modeling processes that decay exponentially in time, e.g.,
fluorescence, it is desirable to have a function that convolves an
arbitrary vector with an exponential using an iterative method.

In the TIMP package (which won't be on CRAN till R 2.5.0 is official, but
is for now at www.nat.vu.nl/~kate/TIMP) we implemented this
special-purpose function as "Conv1" in C to be called via .C.  It would be
nice, at least for us, to have this function (or an improved version) as
an option in "convolve".

There is more on this in Section 4.2 of
 Laptenok S, Mullen KM, Borst JW, van Stokkum IHM, Apanasovich
 VV, Visser AJWG (2007). ``Fluorescence Lifetime Imaging Microscopy (FLIM)
 Data Analysis with TIMP.'' Journal of Statistical Software, 18(4).  URL
 http://www.jstatsoft.org/v18/i08/.

----
Katharine Mullen
Department of Physics and Astronomy