[Rd] Windows version make installer

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Dec 21 10:40:45 CET 2007

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007, Erich Neuwirth wrote:

> I stumbled upon a minor problem when creating a customized installer using
>
> make myR IMAGEDIR=xxxxx
>
> in src/gnuwin32/installer
>
> In IMAGEDIR i have a complete installation with many additional
> directories with packages in the directory site-library.
> Since the libraries are not in library, help.start, when run,
> creates a file "fixedHTMLLinks" in each of the package directories.
> These files are included in the installer created with make.

> Since the version installed from this installer may live in a different
> directories, the fixedHTMLLinks point to incorrect places after such an
> install.

No problem: they are fixed up at first use of help.start() if incorrect.
*But* in my dept setup they would be correct so this is the desired
behaviour.

> So it might make sense that
> make myR IMAGEDIR=xxxxx
> does not include all these fixedHTMLLinks in the installer.

Hmm: *you* gave our script an imagedir containing things you don't want
there and then expect our script to correct your mistake?  As hinted
above, others may want these files, so we are not going to second-guess
the users' intentions.  (There is not much point in building a customized
installer with packages anywhere other than the main library, since that
is where the links work best.)

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk