[Rd] Wrong length of POSIXt vectors (PR#10507)

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Sat Dec 15 23:17:49 CET 2007

    TP> Duncan Murdoch wrote:

    >>> On the other hand, isn't the fact that length() currently always
    >>> returns 9 for POSIXlt objects likely to be a surprise to many users
    >>> of POSIXlt?
    >>>
    >>> The back of "The New S Language" says "Easy-to-use facilities allow
    >>> you to organize, store and retrieve all sorts of data. ... S
    >>> functions and data organization make applications easy to write."
    >>>
    >>> Now, POSIXlt has methods for c() and vector subsetting "[" (and many
    >>> other vector-manipulation methods - see methods(class="POSIXlt")).
    >>> Hence, from the point of view of intending to supply "easy-to-use
    >>> facilities ... [for] all sorts of data", isn't it a little
    >>> incongruous that length() is not also provided -- as 3 functions (any
    >>> others?) comprise a core set of vector-manipulation functions?
    >>>
    >>> Would it make sense to have an informal prescription (e.g., in
    >>> R-exts) that a class that implements a vector-like object and
    >>> provides at least of one of functions 'c', '[' and 'length' should
    >>> provide all three?  It would also be easy to describe a test-suite
    >>> that should be included in the 'test' directory of a package
    >>> implementing such a class, that had some tests of the basic
    >>> vector-manipulation functionality, such as:

    >>> [1] 1
    >>> [1] 2
    >>> [1] 11
    >>> [1] TRUE
    >>> [1] TRUE
    >>> [1] 4
    >>> >

    >>> It would also be possible to describe a larger set of vector
    >>> manipulation functions that should be implemented together, including
    >>> e.g., 'rep', 'unique', 'duplicated', '==', 'sort', '[<-', 'is.na',
    >>> head, tail ... (many of which are provided for POSIXlt).
    >>>
    >>> Or is there some good reason that length() cannot be provided (while
    >>> 'c' and '[' can) for some vector-like classes such as "POSIXlt"?
    >>
    >> What you say sounds good in general, but the devil is in the details.
    >> Changing the meaning of length(x) for some objects has fairly
    >> widespread effects.  Are they all positive?  I don't know.
    >>
    >> Adding a prescription like the one you suggest would be good if it's
    >> easy to implement, but bad if it's already widely violated.  How many
    >> base or CRAN or Bioconductor packages violate it currently?   Do the
    >> ones that provide all 3 methods do so in a consistent way, i.e. does
    >> "length(x)" mean the same thing in all of them?
    TP> I'm not sure doing something like this would be so bad even if it is
    TP> already widely violated.  R has evolved significantly over time, and
    TP> many rough edges have been cleaned up, sometimes in ways that were not
    TP> backward compatible.  This is a great thing & my thanks go to the people
    TP> working on R.

    TP> If some base or CRAN or Bioconductor packages currently don't implement
    TP> vector operations consistently, wouldn't it be good to know that?
    TP> Wouldn't it be useful to have an automatic way of determining whether a
> [...]

Good. From "the outside" (i.e. superficial gut feeling :-)
I've sympathized with your suggestion, Tony, quite a bit.
Further, my own taste would probably also have lead me to define
length.POSIXlt differently ..
OTOH, I agree with Duncan that it may be too late to change it
and even more to enforce the consistency rules you propose.
If with a small bit of code (and some patience) we could check
all of CRAN and hopefully bioconductor packages and find only a
very few where it was violated, the whole endeavor may be worth it
... for the sake of making  R more consistent, easier to teach, etc..

Unfortunately I don't remember now what happened many months ago
when I indeed did experiment with having something like

  length.POSIXlt <- function(x) length(x$sec)

Martin Maechler