[Rd] silent option in nested calls to try()

Luke Tierney luke at stat.uiowa.edu
Mon Aug 27 16:42:36 CEST 2007

Your best option is to contact the author of the software and ask them
to use silent = TRUE or try to play some games with output capture.

try() is an old interface that has been reimplemented on top of
tryCatch.  It could be modified to, for example, use message(), which
would then allow messages to be suppressed with suppressMessages, but
this leaves the issue of warnings (see the try() code).  Coming up
with something that behaves sensibly would require a considerable
design effort.  I don't see the effort as warranted at this point.

The choice of silent=TRUE as the default is I believe unfortunate but
it has been so for many years.  Again I don't see the effort in
changing this as warranted at this point.

Best,

luke

--
Luke Tierney